Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Rag Rugs Run in the Family



Last fall at the International Quilt Festival in Houston, I picked up a DVD of Aunt Philly teaching how to make her Toothbrush Rugs. I finally made one! I'm so happy with it, and it used up lots of scraps of fabric too ugly for other projects. My mom really likes it, and wants one for a table runner. I'm planning to use only batiks and hand-dyed fabric on hers, including some upcycled clothing from my "hippie" days.

I remember my crafty Granny making rag rugs. She sewed the strips end to end and wound them up into balls. Did she crochet them? I can't remember. It seems like she braided them and hand stitched them into rounds.

I also have this antique rag rug made by my great, great grandmother Wooten on a hand loom. It's kinda neat to have crafty, fiber arts people in my heritage. Do you come from crafty stock too?