Friday, July 2, 2010

Heirloom Baby Quilt




This baby quilt was fun to make and a joy to give to my good friend, who is awaiting her first little one. Sunflowers are so cheerful and full of radient energy, kinda like children. And have you ever noticed the geometric centers some varieties of sunflowers have? Incredible! I tried a new technique with this project- silk screening with fiber reactive dye. The color mixing was a lot like working with paint. I made a print paste with sodium alginate, made dye concentrate in the primary colors, and mixed little by little to get the right colors. Screening with the dye paste worked amazingly well for a first try (no cursing at all). Because I used dye instead of ink or paint, this blankie is ultra soft! I also used 100% organic cotton, backed with organic flannel, and organic batting- good for the earth and baby too! I hand dye-painted the little green and brown binding to tie in the nursery colors and hand quilted.

I was out in the yard taking pictures, when this adorable little model grabbed the quilt from my hands. Luckily, I got a good shot!