Friday, January 7, 2011

Colorful Hand-Dyed Batik Quilt



I loved making this quilt! The whole process of dying and stamping with soy wax was completely improvisational- my favorite way to work. I knew I wanted something really colorful and went with whatever came out of the dye bath, or if I didn't like it just bleached it out and started over. I was inspired by the beautiful and cheerful hand-dyed batik fabric and quilts of felow Austinite and well-known textile artist, Malka Dubrowsky of a stitch in dye. The pattern uses two types of blocks that alternate in rows, for an improvisational look. I copied it from a book at the book store, but I don't remember what it was called- sorry! This was also my first machine quilted quilt, and wow, it came together so fast! This quilt now resides on our family room couch, adding a bit of playful color while waiting to assist in cuddle time and catnaps.